Monday 7 May 2012

Want to Travel But Money is an Issue?

Some people travel because they just love to see the worlds. And some people travel because they have to for work reason. Some people would like to travel but they think they could not because of budget constraint. Yes, agree with you. The moment you leave your house, you have to spend more money on transport, food, accomodation and even souvenirs. Some people like it luxury when they are on holiday and some people like it practical. Either way, it is your choice. Travelling or taking holidays are not cheap but you can do it cheaper way the way I do it. When I say travel, I meant both local and overseas travel.

I remember, I have always wanted to go somewhere and I have a lists of places that I would love to see with my very own eyes. Eversince I graduated and started working, I made sure I allocate a certain amount of money for travelling but I had never done any travelling until I got married. Reason being, I had no travel companion and I thought it was boring and scary to travel alone.

Unlike now, travelling 10, 12 years ago were not cheap. You did not have airlines fighting to reduce air tickets to attract customers. I wish we had this back then. Anyway, if you really think that money is an issue, and you still want to travel, perhaps these tips will help you :

1) Set up a travelling fund. I have a few types of funds : saving, rainy days funds and travelling funds.

2)Save everyday- for instance, you save RM1 per day by cutting down on everyday spending like milk shake, making your own morning coffee or cook your own meals. You will end up with RM365 at the end of the month. If you have a baby, try to fully breastfeed your baby until he or she is 2 years old because formula milk is really expensive.

3)Get a credit card with attractive treat points like Maybank, CIMB, HSBC just to name a few. To me, credit card allows me to extend my limited financial flexibility and is useful during an emergency. Especially if you travel abroad, I encourage you to bring a credit card along for emergency and/or shopping. Some people cannot handle credit card wisely but if you want to get the most out of a credit card, you need to learn to use it to your advantage. For instance, I use credit card when I shop as it keeps track of my spending (at least big spending like grocerie, skincare, petrol, clothes). Then I can redeem the points for something else. What I always did were redeem the treat points with kitchen utensils like getting a Tefal pan or flask or against groceries voucher (I always do it at Mydin).

4) Set aside at least 30% from your bonus (if any) to your Travelling Fund.

5) Set aside a portion of your allowance such as overtime or shift allowance to Travelling Fund.

6) Cut down unnecessary spending like going for movies, hanging out at coffe shops or eat out. If you feel bored during the weekend, go for a walk at the park, cycle, do some reading or borrow a VCD instead. Try to find activities that you do not have to spend more money. Any savings from this activities, channel it to your Travelling Fund.

7) Ask any of your family members or friends who signs up for a holiday club to let you use the place at a certain rate ( normally cheaper like what I did to my Gold Coast apartment and Palace of the Golden Horses) or you could join them for holiday if your family is small enough.

8)  Always look for cheap travel deal or hotel deal.

9) Travel in a group or in a bigger number would save you on certain costs like what I did when 4 of us travel to Europe in 2010. We saved on train ticket when we bought it for 4 pax instead of 2. For hotel, instead of taking 2 rooms, you could choose one bigger room that could accomodate 4 people or an apartment which is normally cheaper.

10) Travel during low peak period. Travelling during school holiday or summer are normally more expensive than travelling during winer or during monsoon seasons.





No comments:

Post a Comment